View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Not alone...csf leaks

I've had my fair share of experience with csf leaks. Started having the headaches in November (along with the vomiting, etc.). One neurologist tried telling me it was migraines from being a woman and eating chocolate. I was discouraged for some time and figured the migraines would just go away. Time passed and they got worse. Even my high pain threshold couldn't handle it by the end. I couldn't be upright without vomiting. One day I started losing my hearing and that ultimately got me moving to find out what truly was going on. Two ER visits later I was hospitalized to figure it out. Ultimately the chief cardiologist on my team figured it out based on my symptoms and my elevated heart rate when I was upright. They did an mri and found the telltale signs. They did two blind bloodpatches but the symptoms returned within days if not hours...I knew as soon as they put me upright that it didn't work. I had a myelogram to determine where the leaks are and they measured how low the pressure was and the doctor said it was the lowest he'd ever seen. They did a third blood patch where the leaks were located and it improved a bit but again the symptoms were slowly returning. I was then told to consult a neurosurgeon at an educational institution.

Long story short in total I had those three initial blood patches that didn't work and had complications including hearing loss problems and tinnitus, as well as vision loss problems. I then had two fibrin glue injections and three more blood patches, all of which failed. I then had invasive spinal surgery where they did two dural patches and put in a temporary drain while I was completely immobile and on flat bedrest for five days while hospitalized.

The symptoms have greatly improved. I think there's still a leak since the hearing and vision loss are still there and a "lighter" headache. But the neurosurgeon I'm working with in Chicago is experienced with csf leaks and says he won't be satisfied without having his patients back at 100%.

Has anyone else had a dual patch? And what talked / was it successful?
shannonhb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote