View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Wendeelou,

I've had epilepsy for 42 yrs. and Darlene gave you some great advice. I've seen many neuros over the yrs. but when I started seeing an Epileptoloigst I got the best help ever since these Drs. specialize in epilepsy. You should have your family Dr. refer you to one and they can do detailed testing on you. It sounds like you may have had a grand mal (tonic clonic) sz. and it's normal for a person who has sz. to forget what is going on and be forgetful because you are out of it. I am wondering if playing the video game with your daughter may have brought on the sz. It has been proven that some video games with a lot of bright flashing lights will trigger sz. for some people this is known as being photosensitive which means certain colors can cause sz. for some people. I had this problem until I had brain surgery a few yrs. ago I would see the colors fluorescent green, amber or bright white like the sun shining on the snow and it would cause a sz. for me. As far as the gas smell that is what is called an aura (simple partial) sz. it happens to me often I will smell weird odours right out of the blue for no reason. The next time this happens get a cold washcloth and put it on your face and the back of your neck a couple of times during the day this helps calm the neurons down in the brain and stops it from leading to a sz. It's known as cold water therapy.
Depending on your age this may have happened do to hormones changing. Often when a woman goes through her monthly cycle or her change it can sometimes cause sz. or stop sz. depending on the woman. All of this happens because the estrogen level increases causing more excitement in a womans body when it's that time of the month while the progesterone level decreases and progesterone helps calm the nerves. Start eating almonds or lightly salted peanuts if this could be the cause, they have progesterone oil in them and they can help you reduce your sz. if you think it may be hormone related.
Make sure you get plenty of rest and don't get over stressed these are the 2 main things that can trigger sz. also there are times when a low pressure in the weather may bother some people the air gets heavy which in turn bothers the hormones and then the sz. start up. Keep track of any sz. and write them down on a calendar be sure to write down what time the sz. happened along with a description of the sz. this will help the Dr. and they may see a pattern in your sz. I always have sz. the 1st and 3rd week of each month and I have more in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer because there's less serotonin in the fall and winter. Sorry for carrying on so long. Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (08-22-2014)