View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I don't believe that the brain can ever be 100% the same after TBI. However, most of you will make good recoveries and move on with your lives.

I know, when you're in the throes of dealing with a myriad of symptoms, that that can be hard to believe. To illustrate my point, I'd invite you to peruse my "friends" list. The majority of the TBI ones are no longer on NT, because they got better. Yeah!

I sometimes worry that the presence of "lifers," like myself, can have a depressing and distorting effect on newcomers. In fact, after a long hiatus, I struggled with the idea of returning: I didn't want to bring others down. My injury and difficult recovery are ATYPICAL - most of you ARE going to get better. Hang on.
The ones that are lifers like me, are thrilled you are on the board. And in fact, in some of the more distressing threads where people are hopeless after a month or six or even 19 months, we can give them some perspective of how much time they have left to make marked recovery.

And we can share our experience with the myriad medications and treatments we've had regarding personal efficacy and side effects for specific symptoms, and, although of course not universally applicable, are useful nonetheless.

we can prove to them that there is hope because with a stroke, ABI and TBI under the belt, I can still write a sentence like this previous one

AND we can stress the caution that is needed after a head injury, and being once a 19 year old male, I know how easily that caution can be thrown to the wind without proper warning.

And I find myself telling newbies at least once a week that it is unfortunately expected that their neuro just told them it's all in their head because their MRI is fine. and that MRIs will not pick up most concussions

... and the list goes on.

That's my two cents
anon1028 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-22-2014), Lara (08-22-2014), Laupala (08-21-2014), music-in-me (08-22-2014), sciencetoy (08-22-2014), Sitke (08-25-2014), thorx89 (08-26-2014), underwater (08-22-2014)