View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Mugzilla,

Thanks for hearing me out and reading through my reply to you. Believe it or not, you have already taken the first step as you did not walk away from it

I have been in dentistry for 36 yrs.... good Lord that is a long time! I have experienced all kinds of situations with fearful dental patients. I suppose the reason I am so in tune with this fear is because I had it myself and continued to have it for several years even after being in the profession. To this day, I always have some pre anxiety about being in the dental chair and I accept the fact that I always will. My fear began as a child, like yours did, when a dentist was very rough, unkind, verbally abusive, intimidating, and did not use local anesthetic for drilling and filling teeth. My dental appointments were brutal and I hated that man so much. When I decided to go into dentistry at 20 yrs old, it was to help me overcome my fear. Nothing like stepping into a puddle not knowing how deep it is..... but that's me!

The first thing to understand is that poor dental health will cause or contribute to other health problems. So let your overall health be your motivator in pursuing better dental health. Just like you would browse the internet or catalog for a new outfit or shoes, do the same with seeking a new dentist. There are dentists that have a kind, gentle disposition that can put the patient at ease with or without anti anxiety medications. These dentists do what they do because they understand the fear as they have experienced it themselves. It is imperative that you seek someone who is not going to feed your fear with sympathy but someone who is going to comfort you with their devoted attention and kindness. There are dentists who cater to this type of dental patient. Does that sound like something you could do?

The other thing I want to address with you is your belief that this is the only anxiety that you have. Any time you have this type of intense fear, especially when it is due to a physical assault or trauma, it affects you in ways you may be unaware of and it can manifest into other health problems. Hypnotherapy can be extremely helpful in over coming intense fears such as this. I have seen this therapy work wonders with even the most terrified patients. A licensed hypnotherapist can be found online under mental health therapy. Perhaps that is something you would consider doing?

I can tell you from my personal and extensive professional experience that it is possible to overcome this fear well enough to be able to go the dentist without getting yourself sick over it. You have taken the first step..... now it is up to you to accept the significance of how overcoming this fear will benefit your overall health and well being and let that acceptance guide you to finding the right dentist for you.

I have faith that a strong person like yourself can use your strength to make this happen. You are stronger than your fear... you just don't realize that yet. But you will!

We're here when you need to reach out.... keep in touch
Bryanna

THANK YOU, for your time, insight and encouragement...and for sharing a bit of your own "fear filled" history . What self-awareness and strength you have, especially evident when you began to tackle this as a 20 year old!

In helping yourself you've helped thousands...by not creating fear in the first place and helping to undo the damage done to others, physically and emotionally. Think of all the healthy mouths (& minds) you've literally had a hand in over your career! 36 years VERY well spent, I'd say!

I am sure you are also correct with regard to dental health contributing to or causing other health problems but find it funny it has never come up at appointments with health care providers. I'm sure you are right and there are very well documented connections, I haven't "read up" on the subject. I have, however had arthritis/djd since I was 37 and I believe that is what has bothered my jaw, sometimes making it almost impossible to open my mouth. The popping has gradually become a noisy crackling over time and I do clench (not grind) my teeth, enough to chip a few but there are no "cures" for either. The teeth and stress didn't cause arthritis.

I will concede the migraines I get may have a dental connection however neither the rheumatologist for arthritis or neurologist for migraines have ever pointed to teeth or anxiety for either problem. Never even asked about my dental health, or when I'd last had dental work..nothing...which leads me to believe the dental health isn't a huge factor in either or they would have mentioned it. Maybe it is different with other illnesses. Thank you though for underlining the importance of regular dental care.

I'll read, and reread your helpful replies and have to take your word for it that there are comforting, encouraging dentists out there and that this enormous fear can be managed...but I will try to work up the nerve to open the phonebook and look. Not to call. Just to look.

With gratitude,
Mugzilla
Mugzilla is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote