View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Mugzilla,

There are huge problems amongst our healthcare system but one in particular is the ignorance about our dental health as it connects to systemic health. It is a shame that many physicians never ask their patients about their dental health. But that is a fact simply because physicians are not knowledgeable about dental health so they just don't go there. However that does not mean that there is no connection. It just means there is an ignorance in their education about the connection.

Studies have been on the correlation between oral health and inflammatory and auto immune diseases for decades and the conclusion is that there is a direct correlation between them.

Here is a link for you to browse through...
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/809134

Clenching your teeth can cause or contribute to all sorts of head, neck, shoulder, and joint pain. It can cause the teeth to fracture and become loose in the bone. Clenching causes intense pressure on the TMJ joints as well as spasms to occur in the musculature areas of the head, neck and so on. So it would be logical that someone would develop headaches from having a clenching habit.

I am concerned about you and my purpose in offering you this information is to help motivate you to become more aware of how your oral health is and will continue to affect your overall well being. Once you recognize the connection, it is up to you to move forward or not. I am not trying to force you into doing anything.

Overcoming your fear is not instantaneous.... it takes courage, patience and help. You have to want to do this in order for it to work.

I have faith in your strength and believe you will get there eventually.

Take care and let us know if we can help.....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzilla View Post
THANK YOU, for your time, insight and encouragement...and for sharing a bit of your own "fear filled" history . What self-awareness and strength you have, especially evident when you began to tackle this as a 20 year old!

In helping yourself you've helped thousands...by not creating fear in the first place and helping to undo the damage done to others, physically and emotionally. Think of all the healthy mouths (& minds) you've literally had a hand in over your career! 36 years VERY well spent, I'd say!

I am sure you are also correct with regard to dental health contributing to or causing other health problems but find it funny it has never come up at appointments with health care providers. I'm sure you are right and there are very well documented connections, I haven't "read up" on the subject. I have, however had arthritis/djd since I was 37 and I believe that is what has bothered my jaw, sometimes making it almost impossible to open my mouth. The popping has gradually become a noisy crackling over time and I do clench (not grind) my teeth, enough to chip a few but there are no "cures" for either. The teeth and stress didn't cause arthritis.

I will concede the migraines I get may have a dental connection however neither the rheumatologist for arthritis or neurologist for migraines have ever pointed to teeth or anxiety for either problem. Never even asked about my dental health, or when I'd last had dental work..nothing...which leads me to believe the dental health isn't a huge factor in either or they would have mentioned it. Maybe it is different with other illnesses. Thank you though for underlining the importance of regular dental care.

I'll read, and reread your helpful replies and have to take your word for it that there are comforting, encouraging dentists out there and that this enormous fear can be managed...but I will try to work up the nerve to open the phonebook and look. Not to call. Just to look.

With gratitude,
Mugzilla

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mugzilla (08-24-2014)