View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Small C Fiber Neuropathy?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but have been reading others posts for a while, I've not seen anything that exactly matches what I'm going through, perhaps I can post a short history/summary and see if this matches up with anyone else.

A couple of years ago I got my nose broken playing sport, some time after that I started getting sore/stiff neck and upper shoulder cramps/pain. I saw my doctor who suggested I get some Physical Therapy, this didn't appear to help much.

In September last year I started to get muscle cramps on my shoulders/neck, which seemed to then move onto tingling/numbness on the left side of my neck/face - an x-ray showed a straight cervical spine, this was followed by an MRI that showed a potential bone spur, next stop was a spine surgeon who recommended more physical therapy, the numbness/tingling started spreading from the left side of the face to my nose/lips, right side of the face, and then left hand, right hand, left and right forearm, tongue (both sides), and below the right knee.

The spine surgeon suggested I see a neurologist, who ran a nerve conduction test, which was completely normal - more blood tests, all normal here also.

The Neurologist recommended that I see a Rheumatologist, more blood tests, all normal - the Rheumatologist thinks this is "Small C Fiber Neuropathy", the neurologist isn't so sure because the symptoms come and go.

I've been tracking the numbness/tingling since May 2014, some days I don't get any symptoms, other days I can get 20 or more 'attacks', these can be all over the place (hands, tongue, face/cheek, forearm, right leg). I've had several blood tests that all appear normal, two MRIs (both normal) - I'm scheduled for an Autonomic test in a couple of weeks, we shall see if that turns up anything.

Until September of last year I was extremely active, playing sport several times per week, now I'm not playing at all. I have no idea day to day what's going to be numb/tingling, whether the muscle cramps in the neck/shoulder are going to give me a massive headache, or what's going to be numb/tingling next, or how this is going to progress. This is quite scary - I don't know whether the broken nose, straight spine, muscle cramps and numbness/tingling are connected, or what treatment/direction to go next.

any ideas for what might be going on?
Explorer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote