View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but have been reading others posts for a while, I've not seen anything that exactly matches what I'm going through, perhaps I can post a short history/summary and see if this matches up with anyone else.

A couple of years ago I got my nose broken playing sport, some time after that I started getting sore/stiff neck and upper shoulder cramps/pain. I saw my doctor who suggested I get some Physical Therapy, this didn't appear to help much.

In September last year I started to get muscle cramps on my shoulders/neck, which seemed to then move onto tingling/numbness on the left side of my neck/face - an x-ray showed a straight cervical spine, this was followed by an MRI that showed a potential bone spur, next stop was a spine surgeon who recommended more physical therapy, the numbness/tingling started spreading from the left side of the face to my nose/lips, right side of the face, and then left hand, right hand, left and right forearm, tongue (both sides), and below the right knee.

The spine surgeon suggested I see a neurologist, who ran a nerve conduction test, which was completely normal - more blood tests, all normal here also.

The Neurologist recommended that I see a Rheumatologist, more blood tests, all normal - the Rheumatologist thinks this is "Small C Fiber Neuropathy", the neurologist isn't so sure because the symptoms come and go.

I've been tracking the numbness/tingling since May 2014, some days I don't get any symptoms, other days I can get 20 or more 'attacks', these can be all over the place (hands, tongue, face/cheek, forearm, right leg). I've had several blood tests that all appear normal, two MRIs (both normal) - I'm scheduled for an Autonomic test in a couple of weeks, we shall see if that turns up anything.

Until September of last year I was extremely active, playing sport several times per week, now I'm not playing at all. I have no idea day to day what's going to be numb/tingling, whether the muscle cramps in the neck/shoulder are going to give me a massive headache, or what's going to be numb/tingling next, or how this is going to progress. This is quite scary - I don't know whether the broken nose, straight spine, muscle cramps and numbness/tingling are connected, or what treatment/direction to go next.

any ideas for what might be going on?

Hello. I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I have had PN almost 10 years and have read probably thousands of posts on 10 different forums. It's my opinion after much reading that PN spreads because damaged nerves talk to healthy nerves and they get sick too. This is done by way of proinflammatory cytokines. So many people say the problem started on one side and has spread to the other side or up or down without much logic behind it.

A few years ago I got whiplash in centre of my back in a MVA. Well the burning kept on spreading and spreading and spreading. I finally just gave up trying to figure out why and concentrated on trying to control pain and symptoms so I don't spiral downwards. It eventually went away. Don't loose hope. You'll be active again soon enough.
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (08-25-2014)