View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless2012 View Post
I Am In The Same Boat. I Am 20 Years Old And Have Two VP Shunts Since Birth. Found Out Two Days Ago That My Shunt Has Fractured And I Am In Need Of A Replacement VP Shunt. I Am Concerned And Wondering What To Do About This. I've Never Had Problems Before And About A Year Ago I Started Getting Severe Headaches And Being Tired All The Time. My Doctor Says The Surgery Should Only Take Half Hour To An Hour To Complete. Is That Normal? And He Says I Will Not Need To Stay At The Hospital Overnight. Is This Normal As Well? Sorry, I Tend To Ramble When I Am Nervous And I Am Kinda Freaking Out About This.

Any Help Would Be Great!!
Half hour may do it. My daughter's initial placement and early revisions were 45 min for the surgery part (before slit ventricles, they don't always replace the proximal catheter). But delays due to other surgeries, getting IV in, and so forth happen and that half hour doesn't include coming out of anesthesia (so surgery is just the flight time, whole trip is more than that). I don't know if it is normal to not stay overnight, some times it is just observation. If you don't have someone at home catching any issues, that would be a problem.
pogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote