View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
My concern is that getting hopeful about something as remote as a 12 Tesla MRI can cause a misdirection of efforts. Yes, this is a free forum but there is a tendency to chase after pipe dreams in search of the magic pill or treatment.

We need to try to live in the here and now rather than in the stressful world of what could be. The here and now has enough stress.

Hope is valuable but hope needs to be kept within a responsible realm. Doctors already discount our complaints. Seeking a high Tesla MRI risks putting that relationship in greater jeopardy.
I think there is a fine line between acceptance and resignation.

I accept that I have a brain injury that, at present, and for the foreseeable future, impairs my function. Knowing that, I have adapted to the situation by developing workarounds, modifying my activities and making peace (or, at least, a truce) with myself. However, while I'm attentive to the danger of snake oil salesmen, I will NEVER stop exploring therapies that might improve my condition.

While Telsa MRIs are not currently viable, there are cognitive therapies that CAN help TBI patients - but they are unlikely to get them if they don't advocate for themselves. Both the private health system in the States, and the public one, here in Canada, are about rationing services to save money. Squeaky wheels get grease.

If you don't fight for yourself, most doctors will just give you a handful of SSRIs, a (gentle) pat on the head and send you home. As a group, TBI patients are woefully under treated.

Of course, TBI's tendency to rob patients of initiative, self-awareness and energy works against our being proactive. For that reason, I feel we might need to be mindful that an "acceptance" of our injuries, that sees us fall into a rut of unchanging treatments, or no treatment, might be more a SYMPTOM of the injury than a healthy, long term option for furthering our recovery.

I guess I'm less "don't worry, be happy" and more "the Lord helps those who help themselves." Psalm 37:39-40
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Estreetfan (08-26-2014), Lara (08-26-2014), music-in-me (08-26-2014), SarahSmile0205 (08-26-2014)