View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I found this forum (and particular thread) through a Google search. I have been researching alcoholic PN because I am almost certain that I have it. I have been a long-term, every day drinker for probably 15-16 years now. I don't binge-drink, unless it's one of those "very special occasions" like being on vacation with friends. (I do NOT like getting beyond tipsy and I hate it when my friends make fools of themselves by doing so.)

My drinking escalated around 4 years ago when one thing after another in my life was going wrong (I kept saying "What else can go wrong???), and I just didn't care about myself or my health or what would happen to me. I would get up in the morning and have a few ounces of vodka just to make me happy enough to stay out of bed. That few ounces would make me "happy tired", so I'd go back to bed for another hour. Then I'd wake up crabby, so I'd reach for some more vodka. I would drink pretty much all day long; however, I followed the "one drink per hour" rule and never really would get drunk.

Well, it appears that constant flow of alcohol, whether I was getting drunk or not, was damaging my nerves. In May 2013 I started noticing numbness in my feet. It progressed to tingling, then "walking on rocks". I researched what the problem could be, knew almost for certain it was alcoholic PN, but kept drinking in spite of it. At that point I was still mad at the world because "nothing was going right". (Can you tell I am a pessimist?)

Across the next year, the numbness creeped up into my calves and is now about halfway up my legs. I still figured oh well, I'll manage. The research I had done (before I found this site) had mentioned taking a barrage of vitamins, all of which I was doing faithfully. I figured the feeling would eventually reverse. But then two wake-up calls happened:

A month ago, I was sitting at a stoplight and it was a long wait. My foot slipped off the brake and I bumped the car in front of me. I scrambled to find the brake again but as you know, my feet are numb. No damage was done, and the people in front of me were nonchalant about it (thank GOD they weren't sue-happy or thugs or something), but needless to say, I was beyond MORTIFIED by this. Then:

A couple weeks ago, the tips of my fingers went numb too. That scared the bejesus out of me, because that told me, it's spreading, not getting better. So Sunday was my first day of "let's see how you do without getting up and taking a drink right away". I actually was just fine, didn't have any withdrawal symptoms, and haven't really been craving alcohol. Since then I have had just a few drinks in the afternoon and evening, all spread out. Mainly because of habit and because I get bored. (I do "freelance" work for a company from home and with the economy the way it's been, they haven't had a lot of work for me, so I watch a lot of TV, and along with that goes having a drink.)

Anyway...this thread has been so informative to me, and I thank you all for baring your souls. I have been so ashamed of developing PN. I really wish I would have known this YEARS ago - it would have scared me enough into not drinking so much. I think this disease / condition / or whatever you call it, needs to be PUT OUT THERE for heavy consumers of alcohol to learn about. I had never heard of it, only diabetic PN.

I can say that am thankful that I don't have the severe pain that everyone mentions, just maybe an occasional (once per month) sharp or strange pain that disappears almost immediately - my BIG problem is numbness. If I could accurately describe it, my feet feel like two big sponges. They don't get cold, like I have read about. The only time they hurt is when I accidentally step on something (a rock or something), uneven pavement, or something knocks into my foot. But I do admit, the way I walk has changed. I have to be careful that my shoes are still on - they could be behind me!

Again, I thank everyone here for your candor. It's been really eye-opening.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Icehouse (08-27-2014)