View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I struggles a lot with overstimulation - could not go to a mall, loud music in a church service would overwhelm me, parties could not take for more than a little bit. There was no medication that helped. It is a matter of dampening your exposure to stimuli, whether it be light, sounds, activity/motion etc. I have slowly gotten better with all of it, but still have some problems with noise overstimulation. At the 4th of July I went to a party with pool swimming and kids and lots of adult conversations. After 2 hours my brain felt fried, and I politely excused myself and missed the fire works. Oh well. I have also used ear plugs early on in my recovery and that was great, let in just a limited amount of auditory stimuli.

Try different exposures and see what your own limits are, and know that they will slowly change, no doubt. I have been recovering for over two and a half years. But I am 1,000 times better than I was 2 years ago. There is hope.

Suffered a patient attack on Valentine's Day 2012; kicked in the head resulting in severe concussion. 50+ professional woman on leave from psych hospital job. Recovering from dizziness, nausea, sequential processing deficits, headaches, sprained neck, memory loss, mood fluctuation, fatigue, and general malaise. Treatments: MD, Neuro MD, Physical therapy, psychotherapy, medication.

"Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it;
I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security." Jer, 33:6
Laura G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kaleadl (08-26-2014), music-in-me (08-26-2014)