View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Dural puncture from Epidural in birth!!! 2 failed blood patches and 8 weeks on!

Hi Everyone, I really really hope someone can help me as I don't know what to do....
It all started when I got an epidural in labour. I got told before it was inserted that I could get a 'headache' as a side effect. (I could have coped if it was just a headache) The anaesthetist went ahead put the epidural in 20 minutes later when I was in labour still I got a searing pain straight across my forehead. The anaesthetist said as he put my epidural in he thought he punctured the dura. After labour I got up from the bed,my head was banging, I had vertigo and sickness along with nausea.
They rushed me into a room and laid me flat for 2 days where I was still really ill and unable to sit or stand at all. They then gave me a blood patch that didn't work. I stayed in a further 3 days but was really upset as unable to care for my newborn and husband had to do everything. I decided to go home and laydown there. 8 days passed and I hadn't improved at all. My husband called the postnatal ward and I went in for a 2nd blood patch that seemed to get rid of the headache but I was still left with head pressuren vertigo and burning sensation in forehead,shoulders and arms. I am now 8 weeks postnatal and still getting the same symptoms and doctors saying the hole will heal on its own. I feel like I'm never going to get better. I'm missing out on family time with my husband and 2 beautiful daughters. Please someone give me hope that one day I might recover or what to do?? Forgot to mention I had a CT scan of head and it was normal and doctor now booked me for emergency MRI!!! Thank you x
Dannii91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (08-29-2014)