View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Does anyone know if a drug's side effects from oral ingestion are also seen if it is inhaled? Can't help but wonder if sinemet's side effects will be less if it doesn't have to go through the GI tract.
i assume you'll have to worry less about reduced l-dopa absorption due to eating protein, constipation and whatever else seems to mysteriously temporarily reduce C/L effectiveness. i know there are times when my C/L isn't kicking in and wouldn't it be wonderful to have inhaled l-dopa available as a way to troubleshoot whether it is something in your digestive system that's causing the problem? it still isn't going to help with AA interference crossing the BBB if you eat a lot of protein.

i doubt if side affects are less but theoretically you might be able to take less C/L if you know you can quickly "top up" with the inhaler. i think you still have to take carbidopa orally in the form of oral C/L. it's intended as a rescue drug like apomorphine, doubt insurance companies would pay for it to be your main parkinson's drug, plus i wouldn't want to inhale it 8 times a day.

i think it might reduce azilect and comtan THAT is prescribed to lengthen "on time" of C/L.
i've read somewhere elderly have problems with inhalers, irritates lungs too much? think i read that in an investor presentation by the company developing a competing tech, oral apomorphine which is a rescue drug.

which side affects are you referring to?
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
billybiffboffo (08-14-2015)