View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In doing research today, I came across this interesting research article from 13 years ago:

Oops, again I can't post a link yet. I apparently have to have non-spammy posts before I can. That being said if you Google "neuropathy glucose," you'll see a hit near the top of the results with the subject "Increased Prevalence of Impaired Glucose Tolerance..." and a link to an article with the URL *edit*
For those not wanting to read the whole article, the gist of it is that this study showed that people with normal fasting glucose may still have small fiber neuropathy because of Impaired Glucose Tolerance that wouldn't show up in a basic blood screening test.

"OBJECTIVE—To characterize a cohort of patients with neuropathy and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) but no other identifiable cause of neuropathy.:

"RESULTS—A total of 13 of the 107 patients had diabetes, whereas 36 (34%) had IGT (Impaired Glucose Tolerance), nearly three times the prevalence in age-matched control subjects (P < 0.01). OGTT (2 hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) was often elevated, whereas both fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c were normal."

"CONCLUSIONS—Our results suggest that IGT may cause or contribute to small-fiber neuropathy, which is similar in phenotype to the painful sensory neuropathy commonly encountered in diabetes. Two-hour OGTT is more sensitive than other measures of glucose handling in screening these patients."

Has anyone here with idiopathic SFN had additional glucose testing done?

Thanks.

Jane

Last edited by Jomar; 08-28-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: no link /attempts for new members
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote