View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The month flew by! Two events worth noting. The Glenn Erickson Pedaling for Parkinson's Ride netted over $12,000 to help start/sustain PFP programs in Western Washington, especially at YMCAs. 134 riders, including Soccertese, braved the hills of Redmond, WA and enjoyed the awesome bbq at the end of the ride. We have had requests from several Ys around the country to help start programs.

The other event was the MJFF/AbbVie Partners in Parkinson's day-long symposium in Tacoma. Nearly 500 people, about half with PD, attended, gaining practical advice as well as learning about current research in the field. My husband and I were part of the "doctor's visit" panel in which we had an intimate meeting with "our doctor" in front of the 500 family members in the audience. A novel experience, but one that I hope was helpful. We stressed cognitive issues more than movement issues as those seem to me to be ignored much of the time. Of course we emphasized pedaling as a key therapy and recommended the Peripatetic Pursuit of Parkinson Disease as a key resource.

I have been able to ride about 20 miles 4-5 days each week, keeping me somewhat mentally alert and physically pretty strong.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (08-28-2014), lindylanka (08-28-2014), soccertese (08-28-2014)