View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Gastritis and Proton pump inhibitors/side effects

I've had lots of problems taking other proton pump inhibitors, mainly severe diarrhoea, and and my doctor has now prescribed Nexium as he wants to see if I can tolerate them better. I was on omeprazole and then they swapped it to lanzoprazole but still had the same problem. I'm actually quite reluctant to even take one of these Nexium pills as I think they'll cause the same problem as they are all very similar drugs.

The diarrhoea wasn't mild. I was literally never off the loo for more than a few minutes, day and night, and ended up trying to get some sleep on a duvet on the bathroom floor. It was a total nightmare. This occurred very quickly after starting the pills, within 48 hours. Thankfully it cleared up very soon after stopping the ppi's. I just cannot bear the thought of going through all that again. I would prefer to stay on the ranitidine and maybe increase the dosage but my doctor just says the ppi's are better. They don't seem better for me!

Has anyone else had this problem with proton pump inhibitors? Is there any one type you could tolerate better? Or any other alternatives I could look into?
ripply is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (08-12-2015)