View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Meditation was suggested to me, but I can't seem to relax and focus my mind. Like some TBI patients, I am plagued with restlessness and my brain is too busy - with jumbled, rambling thoughts.
That's why meditation is a *practice* Seriously though, its not so much that you're achieving peace and a clear mind, its the act of trying that's important in meditation.

So the fact that you are plagued with restlessness and your brain is busy and jumbled with rambling thoughts makes you the perfect candidate to keep working at it. I know it sounds counter intuitive.

Meditation is something that NO ONE is good at, brain injury or not for a very long time. But for some reason everyone expects to be able to just sit down and be able to do. Because really, how hard should it be to sit down and do nothing and clear your mind?

In reality its one of the most difficult things to do. Our society emphasizes distraction, constant distraction and stimulation and never just allowing ourselves to be. Need to wait in a line somewhere? Then pull out your phone and amuse yourself with a game, surfing the web, making a grocery list or reading a book. The examples go on and on.

Its another reason that sometimes people find their pain and distress increases when they attempt to meditate. All the rest of the time they distract themselves and their thoughts with tv, computers, phones, chores, other people and then suddenly they are alone with themselves, their pain and their thoughts, perhaps for the very first time.

This can be very scary and alien and for the first (few) time(s) you can be very aware of your body and your pain and your feelings and not be prepared to cope with it. Its not that your pain has actually increased, just that your body awareness increased because you are not being constantly distracted.

Sometimes your pain can increase just due to choosing a body position that doesn't support your injury. Meditation can be done in any position, even lying down or sitting in a comfortable chair, so people with back and neck injuries don't need to put added pressure on injured parts.

As has been mentioned, there are many different types of meditation, so even if you've tried before and haven't liked it, it might be worth another try. The other thing to note, is that it takes time before meditation becomes enjoyable. In the beginning, it can just feel strange and uncomfortable, like any activity you haven't done before and are unfamiliar with.

Once you get a bit more used to it and start to feel its benefits, then you might to feel its a bit more enjoyable and look forward to it. But if you don't feel that in the beginning, don't feel like you're failing at it.

The only way to fail at meditation is to not do it at all. As long as you try, even if you feel like nothing is happening, you are succeeding!

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-29-2014), Lara (08-29-2014), music-in-me (08-29-2014), Saraswati1013 (09-01-2014), thedude58 (08-29-2014)