View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi seriousc, welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousc View Post
What are new, current, drugs to help me?
Do they have to be drugs?

Quote:
About one and half years ago I was prescribed gabapentin. In one year I gained 30 pounds. The following 6 months, I gained another 20 pounds. !!! I have never been overweight. Never even thought about my weight. And the gabapentin didn't even work for pain that well. My doctor doesn't seem to have a clue as to what else I can take. Any suggestions?
Weight gain is a well-known side effect of gabapentin. Unfortunately, it's also a side effect of one of the more common alternative medications—Lyrica (pregabalin)

Quote:
Also, I have fibromyalgia. Also perscribed gabapentin for that. It's not working. What else?
While there are many medications that are often prescribed for RLS and fibro, I know several people who are getting better results with both conditions by identifying food triggers and/or vitamin deficiencies, and taking supplements or adjusting their diets accordingly. This can take a little more effort than prescribing/popping a pill, and it doesn't always work for everyone, but IMO it's worth a try.

Quote:
Your site, as well as others, states that gabapentin is the same as neurotin. My doctor says it is not. What? Is my doctor that bad?
Neurontin is a brand name for the generic drug gabapentin. Lyrica/pregabalin is not the same as Neurontin/gabapentin. Was there possibly some confusion about this?

Quote:
Another drug problem: I take Celexa and Cymbalta to try to help with insomnia. After almost two years with a sleep therapist, a CPAP machine, etc., that is better but not great.

Are these meds fighting each other?
On the contrary, they're very similar drugs in that they both inhibit the reuptake of serotonin. These two drugs are not generally prescribed together, as it can be potentially very dangerous—possibly life-threatening—resulting in serotonin syndrome or neuroleptic malignant syndrome or other serious side effects.

Tramadol also has serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake-inhibiting effects.

You can verify/check this out yourself with any drug interaction checker. This doctor should be monitoring you very carefully.

These drugs can also be difficult for some people to get off of. A safer alternative might be to talk to your doctor, get off of these drugs, and boost your serotonin levels with a supplement (e.g. L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP). DO NOT take one of those supplements while you're still taking the Celexa or Cymbalta, as that could result in the same serotonin syndrome. Be sure to do this under a doctor's supervision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousc View Post
I took Tramadol and Tylanol for 10 years for Restless Leg and insomnia, and then for RLS, insomnia, and fibromyalgia.
That may not be a good combination either. Tramadol is often combined with acetaminophen (Tylenol). If that is the type of tramadol you were taking, you may have been getting an overdose of acetaminophen/Tylenol.

If you are still taking Tylenol regularly, you might look into adding the supplement N-Acetyl-Cysteine to help protect your organs from potential damage from so much Tylenol.

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue forum

Movement Disorders forum including essential tremor, dystonia and Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
seriousc (09-01-2014), tamiloo (08-31-2014)