View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Hypnic jerks - Calm magnesium worked

Hi, I get hypnic jerks at night. I took Lorazepam one night and didn't taper it off in April 2013. I then took it on and off over two months. On average a small amount three times a week. Moved onto Remeron (mitrazapine) in September 2013. I am on melatonin (2mg). I had no sleep problems before I took the Lorazepam.

I was doing ok on a small amount of melatonin with magnesium (Calm 1g), but recently I came off of the magnesium (I think I was taking too much and it affected my blood pressure) and now the hypnic jerks have come back and now having to take 2mg of melatonin. However, I am waking up and now cant get back to sleep from the jerks.

I would be very interested if anyone knew of any alternative ways to treat these hypnic jerks (vitamin D?). I would take a bath with epsom salts (but I don't have one).

I just tried a foot bath this evening but it had no effect.

I made a recent discovery tonight actually. I didn't take the Calm magnesium tonight (just 2mg of melatonin) and the jerks have kept me awake, proving that it was the Calm magnesium that was 'calming' the jerks.

Had to stop taking the Calm magnesium as it was too much for my heart (it was giving me low blood pressure symptoms with a weak heartbeat and palpitations).
Was taking 2g fine for the last 5 months.

Any further help would be appreciated. I have hardly slept this week and I am desperate.

If I can find a way of taking the large doses of Calm magnesium in a different form that maybe might help? I tried the spray a while back but I did not notice any difference in the jerks.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot,
Brian.
Brian Briggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote