View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JosTeethHurt,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

It is not unusual for there to be a foul mouth odor for several days after the extraction of a tooth. However you should not be experiencing that now nor should your sinus be uncomfortable.

The fact that you had a dry socket may also indicate that the problem has not resided and an infection may be brewing.... and your sinus may be involved. Did you dentist mention anything to you about a sinus perforation when he extracted the tooth? Sometimes these can be seen and sometimes not.

I think you need to be seen by an oral surgeon to evaluate the area. I would suggest that you call your texas dentist tell him what you are experiencing and ask him if he knows of an oral surgeon in NY. If he doesn't, then give me a general location of where you are in NY or pm me and I will see if I can look one up for you.

In the meantime do not rinse with any mouthwash. I know it is tempting but it will harm the socket and could prevent further healing. Rinse with warm salt water 3 times a day as this will help reduce the bacteria. But it won't take the place of an office visit with a surgeon.

By any chance was the extracted tooth a root canaled tooth? If so, how long ago was it root canaled?

Let me know if I can try to help you further...
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosTeethHurt View Post
Tooth extracted 08/04/14 with bone graft in upper far left. This odor is disgusting out of my mind. I returned to surgeon on 8/11/14 with a dry socket. Doc irrigated, initiated bleeding, twice adding medicinal smelling medication (brown soaked paper?) that helped.

That smell was gross but the smell now is more along the lines of a water treatment plant, the original odor was akin to road kill, this is worse and sneezing makes the odor more prevalent.

I took three Z-pacs of antibiotics because I am traveling for weeks.
My left sinus throbs at a 2, but throbbing for days at any level is disconcerting. I need to know if I am okay because I do not feel okay.

My doc is in Houston! I'm travelling to NY and this is interfering. The weather is WET and chilly for a Texan. I'm almost four weeks into this and not where I think I should be in healing.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote