View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had C2-C7,T1 posterior fusion and lamni Sept 2013. The doctor sent an Orthofix rep to my house because I was told to wear the bone growth neck stimulator.

I am not making any comment on whether or not the Orthofix bone stimulator works or not because I do not know. I wore mine as instructed following my surgery and I do not know if I have any fusion because my doctor won't say yes or no.

Please "Google" Orthofix and read the class action lawsuit that they lost in Massachusetts (they are involved in many other lawsuits at present). The big issues in that suit were that they didn't let you know you can rent the unit - one size fits all, they committed fraud against Medicare and they tell you that Medicare covers the cost of the new unit and you won't have to pay anything or only a small co pay like $20.00 and then 6 months later you receive a bill for $900.00.

I asked about renting a unit and was told that everyone gets a new unit. I kept talking about it because it didn't make any sense to me especially since I would only have it for the 6 months I was told to wear it and then what - where do I send it etc. The Orthofix rep kept telling me everyone gets a new one.

The next thing that he said is that Medicare pays for all of it. I told him I only had Medicare no alternative insurance or even an add on to Medicare and he said no problem. Medicare pays for all of it.

I could not believe it when I received a bill showing that Medicare was billed $5,000.00 for the unit and they paid $3,000.00. I was supposed to pay $900.00. I never paid it.

So, whatever you do, please research orthofix and be prepared for the bill. I got a lawyer and he said that Orthofix was a bad company, he called them thieves, and he told me just to not pay the bill (I always pay my bills, this one I did not pay).

I received two letters from Orthofix regarding my bill, I talked to my doctor's office about the class action lawsuits and the other lawsuits they are involved in (Orthofix) and told them what had happened to me and I never received another notice about paying the bill from Orthofix.

The reason I talked to my doctor's office was that they sent Orthofix to my house. I had no say in the matter. I thought they should know who they are doing business with.

I am not suggesting that you don't wear the bone stimulator - I think you should do whatever your doctor tells you. Be knowledgeable regarding Orthofix and ask your doctor if you can use another medical outfit to obtain the bone stimulator.

If you are in Wisconsin I can give you mine.

Kelli
thinkitdoit7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (09-06-2014)