View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default the stress of reports

Hi Julie,

I can so relate to you regarding the emotionality of receiving a report and wondering about whether you can ever return to your profession. Last week I received a neurologist report (10 weeks after I had the assessment done!). Prior to receiving it I promised myself I was not going to get stressed about it, but unfortunately the stress levels have increased somewhat. It is only a 2 1/2 page report and it is so inaccurate, I had to keep checking it was actually about me. I don't understand all of it and have to put my questions in writing (it's all a bit of a process!). Interestingly the neurologist did not think it was important to report that I have suffered five previous concussions, but he thought it was important to report I wear spectacles (which I do not) and have regular dental care. I am now in the process of writing what changes I would like made in the report - I have written 5 pages and the report was only 2 1/2 pages!

A sentence I found interesting in the report was as follows:
'Whilst some clinicians might describe this as post-concussion syndrome, this does not adequately serve our patients for there is no clinical criteria, no diagnostic tests and no treatment pathway nor prognosis factors, thus I do not believe Sharon has post-concussion syndrome. I suspect she has functional and dissociate neurological symptoms that account for her presentation.'

And another sentence:
'It may be helpful to set reasonable expectations and discuss the aetiology of her complaint, which I would summarise as a constitutional syndrome with components of headache and anxiety, but together these do not explain all of her symptoms.'

Fortunately I no longer suffer headaches regularly - only when I push myself and do not take rests when I should, and the anxiety I experience is only mild and related to the uncertainty of when I can return to full time employment.

So what diagnosis is it, or do they mean the same thing? Can anyone explain in plain language what functional and dissociate neurological syndrome (which the neurologist also refers to) and constitutional syndrome are?

I have a neuropsychologist report (from January 2014) stating I do have symptoms consistent with PCS and my cognitive abilities are significantly impaired by fatigue. I know I have PCS, and like so many other people with PCS seem to have to battle those people who think if we push ourselves just a little bit harder we can do a little bit more. I am working 3 hours 3 days a week. Even my GP thinks that I should significantly increase my hours because my system is just out of practice of going to work and needs to 'recondition' itself to working more hours. GP also thinks I am just lacking a bit in confidence so should just throw myself back into work. This is frustrating - if I try to work more my head feels like it is about to explode, and it takes me a few days to recover. I want to be fully functioning and working full-time (and not needing rests and sleep during the day) but my brain is not up to it at the moment - I believe I will get there and am determined to.

I think fatigue is the only symptom that is currently an issue for me-(but which impacts on my attention, memory, balance, emotions, etc...).

I am new to this forum, sorry about the rambling - just needed to get stuff out of my system.

If anyone can explain in plain language what constitutional syndrome and functional and dissociative neurological syndrome is that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Shazza:
Shazza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote