Thread: Went to UVA
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Phaedra. I'm really glad things are working out for you. I also visited UVA early on in the diagnosis. The doctor and resident I saw were obviously very sharp gentlemen. They listened to me and even put up with the modality/progress symptom summary I'd brought. My experience there was similar to yours in that the immediate recommendation was a series of lumbar nerve blocks to get the pain under control, with the intent to then begin directed physical therapy, counseling, etc.

But in my case, I was already improving on my own with self directed mirror therapy, ROM movements, massage, dietary changes, imagery, and positivity controls.

My gut was saying not to proceed with the block since the RSD I had was triggered by surgery. But they wanted to get me back in for the block ASAP. So I compromised and scheduled it in 14 days with the intent to continue to monitor my own progress and make the decision after two weeks. If things did not improve at all (or regressed), I would consider undergoing the block.

I continued to make fair improvement and canceled the procedure after 7 days. I was very scared to "cut ties" with the medical field - especially those who are experts in the field - but it felt to be the right thing to do for me. I am very very glad this is the decision I made.

But Phaedra - this is just anecdotal evidence from one person and not meant to sway you either way. I just wanted to share my experience for you to consider in your decision. Blocks have helped some people - blocks have hurt some people - and they have had limited to no effect on others. Make the decision that is right for you and no one else.

It's nice to have someone actually familiar with the symptoms though eh?

All the best
visioniosiv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (09-05-2014), Phaedra (09-04-2014)