Thread: Walking Stiff
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 05:03 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Walking Stiff

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope someone may have some advice for me. I am a 60 yr. old man and I'll share a brief history. Fifteen months ago I lifted a really heavy object. Within a week I started to experience pain and numbness in my left leg, below the knee. It had all the symptoms of shin splints. This feeling never went away and would became, and still is, quite uncomfortable if I stand stationary. I began to experience some lower back pain several months later. I went to a chiropractor and had no success. I finally went to my doctor and he wanted me to have an MRI, but my insurance wouldn't ok it. I thought that I would work my way through it, but my condition has continued to worsen.

I went to see my doctor a week ago, and he wanted me to begin physical therapy and have an MRI. I had my 1st physical therapy session 3 days later and am waiting for approval for my MRI (does anyone have advice on getting this approval?). I will be having PT sessions 2x a week for the next 4 weeks. Here is my current condition- I am now experiencing numbness in my other leg also. It is extremely uncomfortable to stand and when I do, my legs begin to feel very heavy. If I lift anything over 15 lbs, I start experiencing more numbness and heaviness in my legs (especially on the top of my feet). I do not have good balance and and walk quite stiffly. I really do not have much back pain. I have to be on the move or be sitting. When I am walking I actually feel pretty good. This condition is having a huge impact on my job and overall quality of life. I would appreciate all the help I can get.
Dbrick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote