View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Smile Glad it's working so well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannie View Post
I have no problem being free of pain but can somebody put light on this, maybe an idea for you pain suffers???
I believe it's just a matter of titrating up to find the correct therapeutic dose—S.O.P. for pain medications (or medications prescribed for pain off-label). Many members here have posted (complained?) that (when) gabapentin does not work for them...
Quote:
There is weak evidence that gabapentin provides pain relief for around 10% of people who take it for fibromyalgia, and for chronic neuropathic pain.[7] The evidence is stronger for effectiveness in postherpetic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin#Pain
...their doctors routinely tell them to increase the dose. This does work for some (like yourself) but not for others (like myself ), though it also increases adverse/side effects.

Some also find that they develop a tolerance in time, and their dosage must be increased further to acheive the same analgesic effect. However, unlike opioids, gabapentin has a dosage ceiling, above which there is no further therapeutic effect. This necessitates discontinuing gabapentin, rotating to a different medication in the same class (e.g. pregabalin, topiramate) or changing to a different class of medications.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is probably one of the most prescribed and discussed meds on Neurotalk, so there's a lot of discussion/information in the archives.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote