View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks EshersDoll. You are right, it seems the neurologist is likely to have a corporations best interests in mind. The annoying thing is that in New Zealand there is a no fault accident policy, so a government agency called Accident Corporation Commission (ACC) is there to provide assistance to help you recover from an injury and return to work, irrespective of whether you were at fault in receiving the injury. ACC sent me off to the neurologist for an assessment. I have an advocate who has indicated that what I am going through is very common and they are very familiar with the process I will now need to go through. I understand that they need to make sure that people aren't rorting the system but it is frustrating not being believed - fortunately my employer (also a government agency) is very supportive of me and unimpressed how I am being treated.

You asked how I was injured. It wasn't a major knock to my head: the back of my son's head collided with my left temple (thank goodness he is ok). Symptoms progressively got worse over the first month or two (that was 11 months ago). I have had either 4 or 5 previous concussions - all of which I recovered from within 3 months. So I expected that my recovery would be quick from this as the knock to my head was less than the last concussion I had.

In January I had a neuropsychological assessment which supported the diagnosis of PCS. It assessed my premorbid functioning to be between High Average and Superior and my post injury functioning to have declined to Average (which is less than what I am used to but still ok if that's where it remains). However, immediate memory was Low Average, delayed memory was Borderline and Visuospatial/Constructional skills were Borderline. Fatigue resulted in a noticeable further decline in all aspects of my functioning.

I am looking at seeking a different neurologists opinion. I just need to find a neurologist who has some expertise in concussions and believes in the diagnosis PCS.

I am amazed at how little seems to be understood about PCS. Although the Occupational Therapists I have encountered appear to be very knowledgeable about it. My experience is it seems it is the medically training professionals who struggle with it the most ('if you can't see it then it mustn't exist' type thinking). Reading other peoples comments has made me realise this seems to be consistent across the world - this is worrisome given the prevalence of PCS. But the up side is I know I am not alone.

Advice from all is greatly appreciated.
Shazza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (09-07-2014)