View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default PCS long recovery

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this board for a while, but not yet posted.

I was mugged about five and half months ago and have been struggling with post concussion syndrome ever since.

I don't remember it, i just woke up on the pavement to some very unpleasant teen age girls demanding my purse.

I have learned a great deal from this community about recovery, as well as been impressed by the perseverance to overcome such a challenging injury.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences - its helped me realize that whats happening to me is not science fiction but a part of the human experience, which has been unbelievably helpful.

I have made great strides since the first weeks and months where basic conversations were challenging and everyday noises deeply painful.

However, now that I am no longer dizzy and nauseous every single day, I am well enough to notice other deficits that previously eluded me, such as the frequent though brief brain freezes, which seem to come on after a lot of visual or mental stimulation like conversation.

I am doing everything I can - neuro psych evaluation came out pretty normal thankfully; chiropractor has helped with tension headaches; found a good rehab doctor who has put me on amantadine, nortriptilyne, and lunesta; starting vision therapy tomorrow; trying to eat well and introducing supplements.

I started back at work part time after taking a few months off. Its been good to think about something other than the concussion, but its challenging in trying to do what I used to I am reminded of how far I have to go.

I'd love advice from anyone who has succeeded in finding the patience and strength to make a long term recovery.

In particular I feel like I need help in how to communicate with coworkers and others that even though I'm six months from the injury and I look fine, I am neither fine nor doomed to my current levels of ability.

I also struggle personally with both accepting where I am while maintaining hope for further recovery.
Capital is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
music-in-me (09-10-2014), thorx89 (09-10-2014)