View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
Look deeper into K1. It requires you to earn $ 15,000 to sponsor someone in. I am on medicare and medicaid. They don't want a poor person bringing a poor person into the states. I get that. He does have enough to sustain his visit, and proof. My son could co sign, but they make that awful too, because it really is signing for his whole family, kids, grandkids and all. That is co-sponcership. Do I want my son to have to do that????? I wanted it to be finacee route (K1) because we do plan to marry. First was getting copy of his original birth certificate. You do not know how Jamaica runs.
I was born and raised in the West Indies. I actually have a clue.

I do advise you to see a lawyer. I am confused about the objectives... further on you say he isn't interested in a green card, but here you talk about potential sponsorship of extended family. Your son could cosponsor him and any minor children. Fiance sponsorship would not include adult children, or their children. He himself could petition for adult children, but only after he got a green card. I am sorry, but I seem to be missing something, in a big way. Anyway the situation sounds complicated if all this extended family is to be involved.

Quote:
They said 6 weeks, that was back in March. He has been to Lucy 4 times to check on it, hell they don't know anything. He paid $60 for that too. (our money)
On his end all he was wanting to do is visit.( yes marry if possible) He could care less about any green card, or staying here. He is a community leader, and very involved in his neighborhood, in fact a number of them. . Pure love. He can be denied at his end for any reason. They do not even have to tell him why. He does not want to become American, just marry me. I would consider duo citizenship even though our country doesn't really like that.( I would lose my benefits if I chose to live with my husband for longer than 29 days, without returning to the USA.) I would need Jamaican Insurance. If I can't stay there, and he isn't allowed here, well.... it seems to be a problem. Waves, we have already been at this, working toward it since March, there has been no progress at all on his end. We need a lawyer, and I will do that if I have to when my house sells.
I will not have a long term affair, and it is against his morals. This needs to be before God in Marriage. One way or the other I will figure a way.
I have looked into how he does this on his end, going to the embassy and all. What you don't know is only a few each year, are allowed to visit. He would like to see the Dahali Museum and a few others, and get some experiences he does not have in his country....reason for visit. Should be simple but it isn't. So it appears I will marry in Jamaica. ginnie
A B visa should be obtainable, as long as he shows he can support himself and intends to return to Jamaica. He could visit you while you are in therapy. You guys could still marry! Later, either he goes back to Jamaica and you with, or he can change his status. Once he is inside the US, that can be done, and then paperwork will go through US side, not through Jamaica any more. Status is US-side. Visa itself is only needed for entry.

Yes, they can deny anyone, it is their prerogative, but they'll only do it if they see him as a liability. And it might take time. If he has a passport, he won't need the birth certificate for a B visa. Otherwise, it might be time for him to get a lawyer there, if nothing else but to help push papers through channels and play golf with people who can, or you know.

And before you run off to the islands, make sure you can be insured and have benefits on pre-existing, because that alone could be a problem.... also age-wise, and cost-wise.

Take care, Ginnie. I wish you well, both of you.

Last edited by waves; 09-10-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: stated something very unclearly
waves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (09-10-2014)