View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
He does not have a passport. That was why he had to have the new birth papers. He has never left Jamaica. Pass port comes before Visa.
Ahhhh! That explains it. He needs to get his passport! Ack!

Quote:
No one we talk to, thinks he will get an OK to Visit. The Embassy isn't up to snuff, and like I say, if you look at them wrong, they deny you.
Ick. See, this is another sticky point where, possibly, a local lawyer -- someone with a name and contacts -- could possibly be of help. Although most times a visa is handled in person. But if there's doubts like this, doesn't hurt to get a lawyer behind you, especially as this is an important issue. It's not like he just wants to fly up to go to Disney.
Quote:
Yes, Sean could sponsor him in for income requirements. He is willing to do so. However, legally in the writing, you also take responsibility for the whole family, not just my Rasta.
You are sponsoring your husband. The sponsorship, or co sponsorship, does not cover adult children. Only minor children, under 21 and unmarried. Other family members, including any adult or married children, do not acquire any immigration rights through this process. Consequently, none of you (not even him) are "responsible" for them, as far as US law is concerned.

This is as far as I know, but I've known a lot of people with green cards, and this is the first I've ever heard of adult kids much less grandkids getting looped in. Where did you read this?
Quote:
I think they do this to discourage you from having a co-signer to begin with. It is binding in a legal way also. God forbid, if Joseph had some issues in this country, Sean would be responsible for him. No we don't think that would be an issue. He does have a job in Jamaica (God bless that) That is how he has proof of ability to sustain himself here for however long he is allowed to stay.
The more I think about this, the more I think you are right. I should get the lawyer who handles this kind of thing.
I have started to look into, compassionate care options well. There are some clauses for a person coming into the country to "care" for a disabled person. Just heard about this, and will do the research there.
That's a very good idea!! If nothing else, documentation to show he is going to be assisting you could certainly improve chances of visa approval, or maybe expedite it. One can hope, lol.

Quote:
If he can just get the Visa, yep, marry, and try to figure out how to join our lives. I am going to get a very tiny villa here, in an over 55 community, or rather my son is. He will move me there, and I will continue to pay rent as usual. Still lots of hurdles and jumps to go through. I am so glad I know you waves. Thank you for caring about me. If you want to see a few cool pictures, PM me and I will send them to your e-mail via my samsung if you would be curious.
I won't lose the information you sent. I pass it on to my son who is also trying to help me. xxxginnie
Keep looking, keep digging. It is hard. I am done with the hurdles, sort of. In the back of my head, I sometimes wonder if I will get a nice curve ball back to the US, maybe, someday, somehow. Florida is the only place I have ever felt at home, ever, in my life. But nobody cares about that. I could move back to the islands, but I no longer have contacts there and my parents sold our house. It would be horrifically expensive plus no jobs in my field.... I don't see it.

waves

Last edited by waves; 09-10-2014 at 01:44 PM.
waves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (09-10-2014)