View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi guys! I'm back with an update. The ironic thing is that in my last post (see above) I mentioned letting my own health issues slide and that I was trying to catch up with things. Well, I started catching up - got a pap and a mammogram in January - then in February, my daughter started having some severe TMJ issues. Finally got that cleared up (luckily it was muscular, so after a lot of PT and relaxants she got better) then back on track catching up with my endocrinologist, who found some suspicious symptoms and got me into an OB/GYN 2 days later, and she found ... ovarian cancer. She got me into a gynocologic oncologist the next day (I've never seen doctors work so fast!) who confirmed it and scheduled surgery for 3 days later because the tumor was so large (one of the symptoms was that my waistline had been increasing in size really fast, and finally I was unable to bend over to tie my shoes).

The good news is that even though the tumor was the size of a 4-month pregnancy, it was still intact, and they evaluated me at level 1C, which has about a 90% survival rate. I still needed to go thru chemo, though, and that's been a rough road. I had to get hospitalized twice. Anyway, my last chemo treatment is next week, and I'm feeling better than I have in 5 months and was working on my laptop and saw the link to this site and thought I'd come back and visit and give a Calmare update for those that had wanted the info.

I think my daughter's previous remission lasted a bit longer than 6 months but I'm not sure because I don't have last year's calendar with me. She came out of remission right before the doctors found my tumor, and she got some treatments - I think it was about 5 treatments (it's usually 10 treatments the first time, then it's typically fewer when you're treating coming out of remission). She's now at 5 months in remission and going very strong - the strongest remission yet. That buzzy spot on her left shin has completely gone away again.

Anyway, that's my update, and it's been nice to browse around here again and see some familiar faces. Best wishes for everyone to find the treatment/treatments that work for them!
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (09-12-2014), mama mac (08-20-2015)