Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
My MDS called me this morning. She apologized for taking so long to get back to me. She wanted to pull my file and refresh herself with my case before talking with me. I really thought that was a good idea.
As I mentioned earlier, I am taking an antidepressant. Paxil. She felt that this was the cause of my problem. She wants me to slowly titrate off of the paxil. I have an appointment to see her in July anyhow.
I asked her about the possibility of the Comtan and Sinemet causing something like this. She said that even though Stalvo has had some bad effects, taking Comtan and Sinemet really would not have this type of effect on someone my age and general health. She said that it was possible but very very unlikely.

GregD
dear gregd,
here is some information about Paxil, they gave it to my nephew as a teenager, and he started shaking like a PD patient, it did damage to him.

Special warnings about Paxil

In clinical studies, antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children and adolescents with depression and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Paxil or any other antidepressant in a child or adolescent must balance this risk with the clinical need. Paxil has not been studied in children or adolescents and is not approved for treating anyone less than 18 years old.

Additionally, the progression of major depression is associated with a worsening of symptoms and/or the emergence of suicidal thinking or behavior in both adults and children, whether or not they are taking antidepressants. Individuals being treated with Paxil and their caregivers should watch for any change in symptoms or any new symptoms that appear suddenly—especially agitation, anxiety, hostility, panic, restlessness, extreme hyperactivity, and suicidal thinking or behavior—and report them to the doctor immediately. Be especially observant at the beginning of treatment or whenever there is a change in dose.

Paxil should be used cautiously by people with a history of manic disorders and those with high pressure in the eyes (glaucoma).

If you have a history of seizures, make sure your doctor knows about it. Paxil should be used with caution in this situation. If you develop seizures once therapy has begun, the drug should be discontinued.

If you have a disease or condition that affects your metabolism or blood circulation, make sure your doctor is aware of it. Paxil should be used cautiously in this situation.

Paxil may impair your judgment, thinking, or motor skills. Do not drive, operate dangerous machinery, or participate in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness until you are sure Paxil is not affecting you in this way.

Antidepressants such as Paxil could potentially cause stomach bleeding, especially when combined with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and ketoprofen (Orudis KT). Consult your doctor before combining Paxil with NSAIDs or blood-thinning drugs.

Paxil contains paroxetine, which is associated with serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include agitation, confusion, sweating, hallucinations, abnormal reflexes, muscle spasms, shivering, rapid heartbeat, and tremors. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.

It's best to avoid an abrupt discontinuation of Paxil therapy. It can lead to symptoms such as dizziness, abnormal dreams, and tingling sensations. To prevent such problems, your doctor will reduce your dose gradually.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible food and drug interactions when taking Paxil

Remember that Paxil must never be combined with Mellaril or MAO inhibitors such as Nardil and Parnate, or taken within 2 weeks of starting or stopping an MAO inhibitor.

If Paxil is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Paxil with any of the following:

Alcohol
Antidepressants such as Elavil, Tofranil, Norpramin, Pamelor, Prozac
Aspirin
Cimetidine (Tagamet)
Diazepam (Valium)
Digoxin (Lanoxin)
Flecainide (Tambocor)
Linezolid (Zyvox)
Lithium (Eskalith)
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and ketoprofen (Orudis KT)
Phenobarbital
Phenytoin (Dilantin)
Pimozide
Procyclidine (Kemadrin)
Propafenone (Rythmol)
Propranolol (Inderal, Inderide)
Quinidine (Quinaglute)
St. John's wort
Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
Theophylline (Theo-24, Uniphyl)
Thioridazine (Mellaril)
Tramadol (Ultracet, Ultram)
Triptans (a class of medication used to treat migraines; examples include sumatriptan and zolmitriptan)
Tryptophan
Warfarin (Coumadin)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote