View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Chris,

Nice to see you.... hope you are well!

Based on your description the dentist performed what is referred to as Atraumatic or Nontraumatic oral surgery. This is when the dentist purposely uses a very gentle approach to remove the tooth so as to cause the least amount of trauma to the bone with the intention of preserving as much healthy bone as possible. In this type of surgery the debridement of the socket is usually gentle unless he finds diseased bone which would require a bit more scraping to remove.

Dentists usually have to seek education outside of their usual dental curriculum to learn this technique. Those who are taught and practice this form of oral surgery... are usually so gentle that their patient does not even realize how thorough the procedure really is. I worked with a Biological Dentist who performed Atraumatic oral surgery .... his work was remarkable!

With all of that said... I cannot completely assure you that the socket was thoroughly debrided. But my guess is that this is the type of surgery that he does and you will be fine. You can always ask him if this is what is does

Chris, was this dentist an oral surgeon or a general dentist? I have a few people who need a holistic minded gentle dentist.... could you tell us what state or country you live in??

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinireland View Post
Dear Bryanna

Hello again and hope you are well.

I just had a central upper incisor removed two days ago by a holistic dentist that I explained to remove all the perio ligament with the tooth. The dentist extracted the tooth slowly and with care to not damage the surrounding area and regarding the ligament gently touched the inside of the socket to feel for and remove any dead ligament attached hence it was not scraping at all and i could barely feel anything or scraping etc. My point is that I hope all the ligament has been removed in this way as i certainly don't want cavitations starting there, can you give me your feedback if this sounds like the perio has been removed OK or whats your thoughts?

Sincerely
Chris

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Enna70 (03-26-2015)