View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:32 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
I recently heard a biochemist say that every drug we take has the potential to affect every other function of our bodies, directly or indirectly. Sure made sense to me.

On the subject of antidepressants going bizirk...I have been having some upredictable and extremely intense off time over the last year, and it's occurring with increasing intensity, duration and frequency. It is more than a concern to me andgetting very scary. The Neurologist thinks its one of my meds. We know it's not the benzodiazapine and my money was on the regular sinemet as the culprit. My Neuro thought it was my antidepressant, Mirtazipine (Remeron). So I cut it back and eventualy eliminated it. I was so out of it after a few days, not sleeping etc that I realized what a big part it played in my ability to function...so I started it up again planning to tell the Neuro that it was not the misbehaving drug, and I needed to be back on it. I had 3 great nites sleep and my days were good too...everything looked peachy, untill this last saturday night. I woke up in the middle of the night shaking and sweating like crazy...but I got it back under control. Then Sunday night it happened again. Today it happened twice! I'm thinking this Neuro is right! I've been on this drug for 5 + years. No problem till this last year. Gotta sign off now, I'm fallin asleep at the keyboard., Greg, sooooo glad your okay.

drug interactions - (side effects) of
Remeron -
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

also if you look up paxil it has a drug interaction with
Interactions between paxil (paroxetine) and Robitussin dry cough (dextromethorphan)
dextromethorphan and paroxetine (Major Drug-Drug)

MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, 5-HT1 receptor agonists, ergot alkaloids, lithium, St. John's wort, phenylpiperidine opioids, dextromethorphan, and 5-hydroxytryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors.

MANAGEMENT: In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk. Close monitoring is recommended for signs and symptoms of excessive serotonergic activity such as CNS irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, myoclonus, ataxia, abdominal cramping, hyperpyrexia, shivering, pupillary dilation, diaphoresis, hypertension, and tachycardia. Particular caution is advised when increasing the dosages of these agents. The potential risk of serotonin syndrome should be considered even when administering one serotonergic agent following discontinuation of another, as some agents may demonstrate a prolonged elimination half-life. For example, a 5-week washout period is recommended following use of fluoxetine before administering another serotonergic agent.

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote