Thread: Going crazy?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, all you lucky grannies! My son got married a year ago, but they aren't as "ready" for babies as I am

I wanted to post this before you all got too "down on yourselves". I had a "regular" grandma, and a "quiet grandma". "Regular" grandma is NOT the one I remember most, not at all. I actually can't dredge up a single powerful moment I spent with her... except a negative one when I broke a piece of her china.

But "Quiet" grandma, wellllll, she's a different story altogether! I remember her most for all the reading she did to me. She could cure all my ills with just one book... ok, sometimes two, lol. She's the one I remember talking to me, the one who listened when I spoke to her, really really listened. She wasn't all distracted like the rest of them... mainly because she was in her bed most of the time. But she'd call me in to her, and ask a simple question: "Book, game or talk?" I'd usually end up staying and do all three, lol.

"Quiet grandma" was also poor as dirt, the others weren't. But for all the fancy things they bought, I had no respect. It was the books and homemade gifts from poor quiet grandma that I remember most fondly. She gave/made them with such love!

I only have one keepsake from poor quiet grandma... her plain jane gold wedding band. I never wore it, let my mother keep it for many years. But once I met Michael, I asked for it back. I finally felt like I was in a relationship she would approve of, lol! I feel her love even more firmly when I slip that ring on. I also smell her cheap, awful, too-much-on Avon Roses cologne once in a while... it still makes me smile to this day.

So, DO NOT place yourselves at the bottom of the totem pole anymore! Turn that bed of yours into a nice safe haven of fun for those grandbabies to run to when they need you... and don't forget to call them into you once in a while too. They're too young to spend much time thinking about the people that aren't in the room with them... but they'll come to you gladly when you ask them to. Don't forget, they also might be afraid of hurting you... you need to explain to them what they can and cannot do. They'll feel safer and more secure about coming to you when they know they aren't going to cause you more damage.

I hope this helps a little bit... it made me cry to write it, but in a good way.

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote