View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
I have always felt that legislation needs to be in place to protect anyone with a progressive illness, one from which there is no recovery. Those patients should have an initial review, including whatever testing/proof is needed to insure there is not a false diagnosis. From that the SS benefits should be approved and become permanent!!

I also don't agree that one needs to be disabled for two years after SSDI is approved before Medicare kicks in. I realize that this rule is in place in the event the patient does improve, but these permanently progressively ill patients will NEVER get well, so the proofing period of two years needs to go away. It is a serious hardship on those who need meds and medical treatment over that period...like me who lives alone and lives on my own income...

and I would be happy to join anyone who wants to fight the battle for permanent disability award
It is shameful what people with progressive illness, one that there is no cure for and that leads to total disability, and death, have to go through.

It is shameful that a single word, taken at its literal definition, can end someones benefits without without question.

It is shameful that people with progressive illness, one that they is no cure for and that leads to total disability, and death, have to hire attorneys and go before judges to obtain what is rightfully theirs.

It is shameful that anyone might have to struggle for two years without medical care insurance before Medicare kicks in, especially those with progressive illness requiring multiple medications and treatments to sustain some semblance of a normal life.

It is very sad that we have to go among these "people" who make these judgements in an "off" position just to maybe receive a fair shake. If we go among them "on" they don't believe that we are sick and deserving of what we ask for.

It is shameful that an insurance company (LTD) can follow someone around with a video camera in an attempt to prove to themselves that the patient and the patient's doctors words about ongoing disability are WRONG!! (This happened to me six years ago...I will never forget the day.)

I know life isn't fair, but the SS process is beyond fair.

Maybe I my thinking is simplistic.

p.s. I can understand the need for the camera surveillance, but not for progressive degenerative illness like PD, MS, etc. I was on that side of the fence for years and managed employer LTD plans. Fraudulent claims happen all the time...I have watched the videos where people were caught...it was part of my job. But degenerative illness...why would someone WANT to use such an illness in a fraudulent way.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote