View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinnie View Post
I am 66 years old and have been on 300mg Lyrica twice a day for approximafely two years to treat pain from degenerative arthritis of spine plus scoliosis. I am concerned about the amount of this medication I am on and, after reading about the severe withdrawal symptoms, am very frightened. If I had known I would never have started. I also am on Ciprelax for depression and slow release morphine for pain. Any advise for me.
Hi Dinnie, welcome.

Regarding your dosage...
Quote:
The dose for treating neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury is 150 to 600 mg daily. Begin dosing at 75 mg two times a day an increase to 150 mg two times daily after one week if response is inadequate. May increase to 300 mg twice daily if response is inadequate after 2 to 3 weeks.
http://www.medicinenet.com/pregabali...ca/article.htm
...so your dosage doesn't sound that far out of line.

I think the important questions are:
  1. Is it helping/working?
  2. Are you experiencing any intolerable side effects or adverse reactions?
  3. Do you have any renal impairment, and is your doctor monitoring your renal functions? (Lyrica is metabolized in the kidneys)

It's important to consider that while some people do have a difficult time discontinuing Lyrica, most do not. People having difficulty/trouble have reason to post & seek support, while people who have no issues don't need support, so they don't post. This can give a false/skewed impression of things.

Are there any other reasons besides dosage that concern you or cause you to want to discontinue the medication?

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 09-12-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typos
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote