Thread: disability?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Disability

There are state and federal laws against terminating someone for filing for disability. I would suggest that you research your state's laws in this regard; there is a forum on NT for issues concerning SSDI which you may find helpful. Since your doc is recommending that you file for disability (in CA you can get state [short term] disability for 12 months, after which SSDI kicks in at the federal level; don't know about your state), is there someone you can work with in his or her office to facilitate the process for you?

I've been on SSDI since March of 2005 just based on severe chronic pain - wasn't even dx'd with TOS until Sept. of that year. If I recall correctly, there is paperwork for your doc to fill out, specifying disabling sx like pain, insomnia, restrictions and so forth caused by your underlying condition/s.

Know that the Feds typically will automatically deny your first application for SSDI. There is an appeal process to make you jump through their hoops, and you may ultimately end up with an adjudication in court. Many find it helpful to engage an attorney to help them fight after the first couple of denials, and you won't be charged unless/until your claim is approved and then their fee is deducted from your first SSDI check. The whole (federal) process may take a couple of years but the $ awarded will be retroactive to the date of your first application.

If your state has short-term disability (some do not), then it should not take long for there to be a determination and award. Again, your doc's office manager (or whoever handles disability issues in their office) should be able to help a great deal in getting the ball rolling for you.

Wish you the best of luck with this! Be patient, as you will be dealing with the ever-lovin' government and a certain amount of red tape is always involved when bureaucrats are in the picture…

Alison
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote