View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Do you believe their staff will be stretched thin? I've been reading up on the clinics, it's a fairly specialized program and not one that seems to take every Joe-Smo off the street. It doesn't seem like something that should be entered lightly true, and it does sound like it will take a lot of willpower, strength and support to get through it.

If you check here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/department...e-week-program

It lists a typical day, but with the disclaimer of few are typical if you read between the lines, especially since it's suppose to be tailored to your needs, not the needs of those on your floor as it goes when you admitted say after a surgery or for an illness. Then yes, they put you with other similar cases and ya'll get meds on the same schedule whether you need them sooner or later since it's 1-2 nurse covering half a wing.

This sounds a lot more like rehab, well okay it IS rehab, but sounds a lot more like the drug rehab (reputable club med type). You even get group therapy, at least at John Hopkins that outlines the program in a lot more detail than Mayo's site. But they're trying to find multiple tools for you to use to get you out of pain and how to nip the cycle in the butt when you overdo things or have a bad day.

Granted that's just from the sound of it. And even if I had gone to the Mayo in my neck of the woods, doesn't mean it would be the same wherever your at. Different strokes for different folks and all that. But I would strongly recommend asking for a tour before you commit. Meet the nurses, see how many appear to be running around, how many doctors/therapist, how many patients seem to be running around. Is it a flurry of activity, a sedate quiet place, or a mixture of both. If it's a mix do the two conflict with each other? And also don't forget to make a mental note of the average age of the nurses, are they all young and bubbly? Old and 'cranky/hazzled-looking'? Or does there seem to be a good mix of experience and fresh-faced youths and not to forget strong guys for unforeseen issues, or if nothing else eye-candy

While I haven't done inpatient PT or pain mgmt, I do still look at the facilities before going to any PT place, even one I've been to before. I want to make sure there is someone who can help if I get into trouble, not some 'gonna snap like a twig' teeny-bopper look-a-likes as the only people running around while I'm there. At the same time I don't relish flashbacks to my catholic school days with severe looking matriarchs growling at me with a 'I can snap YOU like a twig' stare. I'll take the rod and the cookie please, I need the mix, but that's just me. Too much of a pushover and I can't take them seriously, too much of the Drill Sargent and I can't stop at my limit but do exactly what they say no questions and start looking for the nearest confessional, to cry at priest over how much it hurts.
Starznight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LoveCats (09-13-2014), SallyC (09-13-2014)