View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 01:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default diet and PD

There was a neuropharmacologist at MIT, named Richard Wurtman, [now retired]who did a lot of animal studies on dietary protein and its' direct effect on neurotransmitter levels in the brain. He was somewhat controversial about 30 years ago when I first heard of him. He is married to a nutritionist, Judith Wurtman. Richard was supposed to have come up with a diet for Parkinsons, based on a protein/carb ratio of 1:5 if I recall correctly. He didn't recommend low protein diets, or restricting protein to just the evening meal. I see references to a book published by him on the topic, but I cant locate it anywhere. The nutritionist for the National Parkinson Foundation site, Kathrynne Holden, recommends a ratio of protein/carb of 1:7, which seems high in carbs to me. What and when to eat is a major problem for some of us using frequent doses of sinemet. Also, unexplained weight loss is major problem for some PD patients, mostly women, as I recall.
It would be nice is someone (?) would coordinate studies on this mundane issue and come up with some real information that helps people.
SarahBain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
parkinsons here-now (12-06-2020), wxxu (09-13-2014)