View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Ah... So much time—so little time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Pablo View Post
There is obviously the standard go back & stop Hitler response to this, however, for purely selfish reasons, I would go back to 1919 & place a rather hefty wager on the Chicago 'Black' Sox losing the World Series & live out my days in luxury in a time where wearing a designer suit as every day attire, didn't make others look at you like you had three heads & a tail...
So many years—so many eras! (dilettante historian )

At this particular moment (ask me again and my answer will likely differ), for similar motives as Andy (though I'd invest in certain companies rather than wager on sports), 1939 was a magical year for many reasons. Among them, it was THE Golden Year/Era for movies/motion pictures.

1939 in film

Quote:
As I am English, I only found out about the scandal by watching the film "Eight Men Out" & found it fascinating.
LOL I can say the same thing (from an American perspective) about Guy Fawkes and V for Vendetta, William Wallace and Braveheart, Rob Roy MacGregor and Rob Roy... On second thought, don't get me started; I've learned a LOT about history after seeing movie depictions of events & persons.

N.B. Hold the admonishments—I'm keenly aware that movie history usually has as much (i.e. little) to do with facts/real history as waving the book over the script/film can...

Movies have been the impetus/starting points for much of what I've learned/forgotten about history & other subjects. Moreso than books; movies have prompted me to read many more books than books have prompted me to see movies.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Andy_Pablo (09-16-2014), ginnie (09-15-2014)