View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What my doctor said was more than 1 breakthrough seizure per month is high. I'd be tempted to argue with her, but I figure since she went to med school and I didn't, I should just nod. I'd probably say more than 3 per month should mark your seizures as uncontrolled (depending on the frequency before medication was introduced).

I've kind of grown into a groove with mine and when my frequency increases, it's my fault 99% of the time. I stress out, lose my appetite, forget to take pills, etc. - so usually when that happens I will put it in my journal but I don't tell my doctor.

I know it's important information to her, but my Epileptologist is also on the big-wig board of psychology so she frequently tries to give me anti-depressants if I have a bad day*. By bad day, I mean I go to her office and hate epilepsy and will say something naughty or negative which triggers her to assume I am depressed (if she'd look at my chart, 90% of the time it's just PMS).

Anyway, ever since she told me each seizure is a potential risk for brain damage, I really try to go out of my way to make sure they are controlled. I just have these maturity losses where I get this bizarre feeling I'm cured and stop taking my medication (I don't know why, but I do it a lot if I go a few months without a seizure).

They all seem to have their own definitions of 'uncontrolled' - while I think once a month is pretty 'normal' I'd agree anything over a standard breakthrough should require some investigation.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote