View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
We've had several threads here that banter whether there is actual cell death in PD vs. cell malfunction. I personally think it is the latter, as there are some things that can revive function in many PWP, albeit temporarily. If the cells were actually gone, this would not be possible.

Also supporting this is the fact that some people who have been told they have PD by PD experts have, subsequently (and sometimes decades later) been told that that they do not actually have cell loss, but lowered dopamine levels. Harley is one I can think of, also Conductor was told she had parkinsonism but not actual Parkinson's. What's the difference? I would love to know.

I'd also love to know the damage done to one's body/brain from taking all the PD meds you didn't need, for years, because you were told you had PD but in hindsight, not really. All the more reason to get multiple opinions from a PD doc.

I guess the theory that the cells are merely struggling v. dead means we all need to take the exercise/healthy diet/low/no stress plan seriously. Easy to say, of course.
lurking, i've read where they autopsied people taking l-dopa for non-pd maladies such as dystonia and possibly essential tremor and found no damage to substantia nigra.
but there's no doubt that taking any kind of drug that influences neurons changes the receptors on the neurons.

the studies that tested neuron rescuing treatments such as infusing gdnf, the ceregene trial, have failed, so you can't say researchers haven't investigated that approach. i think there are at least 2 more ongoing gdnf trials one using gene therapy and another using intermittent infusion. then there's the pig cell transplant in NZ where the cells secrete neuron growth factors.
europe starting fetal transplants again.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bogusia (09-15-2014), lab rat (09-15-2014), Tupelo3 (09-15-2014)