View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Post Stroke Pain Help

Hello All,

I am here in search of help for my husband. He had a massive stroke January 1st of this year, he has survived two brain surgeries as well as the swine flu/double bi-lateral pneuminia (broken glass syndrome) that caused the stroke in the first place. Some would say he is lucky to be alive, he would say the opposite.

He is learning to walk and finally starting t get some movement in his left arm (very little but its a start). However his rehab has been compromised by severe post stroke pain. It keeps him from daily PT, most days he cant get out of bed the pain is so bad. This is a man that had not missed a day of work in 20 years, that wouldn't even take a Tylenol for a headache. He has without a doubt the highest pain tolerance I have ever seen in a human being. So when he is crying that it hurts, I know he is not BS'ing.

We have been going to pain management for 4 months and still his pain level is at or over a 10 at all times. He cant sleep, he cant go out (as the summer heat makes it worse), he wishes he were dead every second of the day all because the pain is so bad. If we could get this pain in control, he would have a fighting chance. I am sure he would be much further along if only this pain could be managed. He would be happy if the pain was even dulled to a tolerable level.

He is currently taking 2600mg of Gabapentin, 7.5 Norco (3x a day), 10mg Baclofen 2 times a day, 15mg of Morphine twice a day as well as antidepressants and vitamins. Nothing is working, not even a little. Medicinal Marijuana helps take the edge off and the baclofen helps with some of the spasticity, but for the most part he is at a level 10 pain round the clock. Has anyone experienced this issue and if so did you find relief from the pain and with what? I am desperate for help, his suffering has to end. I am terrified I am going to wake up one morning and find that he has killed himself. I fear he is heading in that direction and I cant seem to get anywhere with this PM doc. He is so arrogant. I know if the pain can be eased he will get better.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the Best
AJ
EarlsWife is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (09-16-2014)