View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

BetterTOSer, you seem to think Doc Brantigan is the only qualified TOS doctor in the world.

It isn't the case. Withmore, If you see multiple qualfied doctors and they have different opinions, then you should consider those opinions and how they apply to you. Exploring and learning about TOS as well as the various diagnostic techniques will make you a better educated patient.

Each doctor does their own thing, and has their own approach to TOS. Dr Brantigan has the Spiral CT, it is good for bony abnormalities. It will see certain orientations of vertabrea to other bony sturctures that Dr Brantigan has learned in his experience are usually associated with TOS. It will NOT not see fibrous bands, muscle abnormalities, scar tissue, or any other soft tissue problem that may be present. Dr Sanders has the MAC nerve conduction study and concentrates more on soft tissues. Depending on why type to TOS you have, one technique may "see" abnormalities and the other may not.

THe MAC test that Dr Sanders requests is highly unpleasant, but came back very abnormal for me. the Spiral CT that Dr brantigan does was ony mildly unpleasant and came back compeltely normal for me. If Dr Brantigan was the only Doc I had seen, i might think the TOS was all in my head. It may be completely opposite for you, depending on what causes your TOS.

But is precisely BECAUSE they have different approaches that I would suggest seeing both. They probably WILL give you different ideas and perspectives about what is going on, but if you are truly a good surgical candidate they will PROBABLY both suggest surgery. They are both extremely qualified and loved by their various patients.

It is a GOOD thing to be an educated patient, familiar with what is in your medical records. It does not mean you tell the doctors what to do, it just helps to ensure they get all the pertinent information from your previous treatments.

Since TOS is so difficult to diagnose, do not despair if it does not show up on any one particular test. Have as many as you can afford...or as many as it takes to get an answer you are comfortable with.

As for BetterTOSer's comment, I respectfully disagree...there is RARELY only one way to skin a cat.

Absolutely the best of luck to you

Johanna

Last edited by johannakat; 06-06-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote