View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart Thank you.

Waves,

That made me cry and again tonight when I looked at it to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
Yes. I love the smell of rain, and the feel of it if it is light enough to be able to stand in. When I lived in the warmer climates, I used to go for walks in the rain.
I can understand that. I see people talking about sleeping in the rain.

Quote:
I like thunderstorms too. I do not go out in them, but I like the sights, smells, and sounds. I miss the kinds of powerful thunderstorms I had in other places.
Yes, there is drama to them. These seems to be something I have recently -- the reaction to the violence of the noise.

Quote:
I also like cloudy days as long as it is not all the time. Then it gets dreary. But when the fall between sunny days, it feels like a relief to me. Sun all the time is almost like pressure. Rain or just clouds are a relief from that
Right. It is just IS. Too much sun would be, well, too much.

Rain breaks the tensions in the air. It can be a relief.

Quote:
I can understand that. I see people talking about sleeping in the rain.
Walking in the rain with no lightening or with no choice because one is caught in it -- but then there is the ruined shoes or the concern about bare feet.

Quote:
I am sorry you are having this weather that makes you uncomfortable.
In about 8 weeks we will be in our dry season with a different kind of rain.

Growing up we had lots of space and animals and food that we planted and tended, and depended on, . .
Usually the animals had sense and protection but the plants were an issue and could be lost in one storm. When the storm would first come, we would have to jump to go outside to collect whatever was out -- laundry on the clothes line, toys, . . .. close open windows. . . .
. . .one time I failed my role and left out my one good pair of school shoes and I got all kinds of heck for that .(probably 9 or 10 at the time). .

A guy I went to h.s. with was killed talking on the telephone while sitting on a freezer in his house. . . more stuff like that.

For a very long time as an adult, I lived on the bottom floor of a three story building. I was free of the sounds of the rain falling on the roof.

The neighborhood I live in now was hit hard by Wilma and roofs were torn off. They guy who owned our property chose not to replace his roof -- only to "patch" it. A few years after moving in, one night I watched rain leak into the kitchen from the ceiling and travel down through the connection of the ceiling fan/ light fixture.
A day or two later, hubby got on the phone and arranged for us to have a new roof.
Cognitively I know that we have a roof as good as a reasonable person can expect, but I still am not comfortable "hearing" what is happening on the roof.

Maybe this is less about rain itself than the SOUND.

I noticed I am much more sensitive to sensory stimulation than I used to be.

Thanks for your post.

M
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (09-16-2014), Brokenfriend (09-16-2014)