View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Jan,

Forgive me for asking this, but is it a pain threshold or a fear one?

I had probably one of the worst dentists when I was young. I think he filled cavities that weren't really there just for the money. And he did a really poor job of it, too.

I have a great dentist now. He understands the importance of using the best, MG-friendly numbing drug (even though I always have kick back from it later). There might be discomfort at most, but never pain. I'm someone who can faint with severe pain.

Sedation is pretty dangerous in a non-hospital setting for a MGer. As Celeste said, they need to have equipment to monitor your breathing/O2, etc. And be prepared to dial 911 if necessary. You should also ask if they are certified in CPR.

What kind of dental are you having?

I just had a root canal today. No pain, just pressure when they packed the empty root area. And they "talk" to me throughout, so I know what's going on and how long things will take. I make my jaw go slack, so I will have minimum muscle weakness later.

The epinephrine from lidocaine or whatever drug is used can cause a person to get shaky. Bringing a small juice box with will help to counteract that (it's a biochem thing).

You can ask to rest, if you need to. They can split a procedure up into a couple of days, too. Make sure you take Mestinon before the procedure so that you're at your strongest.

My point is that you can manage just about anything during a dental appointment, even pain.

Make sure you make time to sleep after an appointment. That will really help. Afterwards, drinking with a straw, eating soft foods (chewing will make jaw weakness worse), placing a cool pack on your jaw or taking Tylenol (to help with any post-pain), etc. will help.

I have known people who put headphones on and listen to music while doing dental, too.

Personally, I'd rather have a little pain than risk the sedation. Only you can make that choice. At least make sure the clinic is prepared for ALL possible scenarios if you do that.

If you get worse after the appt., keep your neuro in the loop (and a pulmonologist, too, if necessary).

I'm sure you'll be fine!!! The fear of the unknown is worse than the actual dental procedure. I hope it goes well for you!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote