View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHop11 View Post
A week ago I had c-spine and thoracic MRIs (with and without contrast) because at about the same time as this neuropathy, I started experiencing thoracic back and neck pain. My back is extremely point tender on my spine, it's painful just to lay down on my bed at night, even to sit against the back of a chair. I've been doing physical therapy and tried chiropractic care, but nothing has helped. My neuro doc agreed that these MRIs would be useful both for my unexplainable upper/mid back pain (in a 24 y/o otherwise healthy female) AND for this unexplained neuropathy. The only thing my MRI said was "approximately 3 mm of cerebellar tonsillar ectopia, which is not definitely low-lying. No crowding of the foramen magnum or posterior fossa." but the conclusion on the report was "normal MRI". Even such a mild displacement like that would probably be asymptomatic I think? I think >5mm is considered Chiari. I just have the report online, didn't have a follow up with my doc yet.

As I mentioned, I had diplopia on my visual fields exam, but is making me concerned about the possibility of MS. My friend said that you can have MS for years before lesions show up on MRI, but I don't know if that's true. I just get this feeling that there's more to what's going on than just a peripheral neuropathy. I'm worried it's only getting worse.

No MRI of brain done, 1 of my doc's said it was not indicated and my other doc never mentioned the idea of it.
I'm hoping you are not seeing the doctor that told you the MRI wasn't indicated. It was one of the first things my doctors ordered. They also did a spinal tap later to be sure it was not MS.

My symptoms are a lot like yours. Mine came on real fast and are everywhere but the left side of my face.

I've been tested for everything. My skin biopsy was positive. I now believe that this happened from taking Avelox. It took me six years to figure that out. Not one doctor ask if I was taking a medication when this started.

If I can give any advice it is to be your own advocate. Do you own research. Look into your medical records. Push for the MRI if you think it is needed. If the doctor you have doesn't seem to be helping you find another.

I wish I could say it I got better for me. It didn't but it did get more tolerable. I think there are people here that got better. Most of the time I grin and bear it. In the beginning I never thought I would be able to say that.

I do meditation, pray and come here. People here understand. It is so nice just to talk to people who are going through this.

Good Luck!
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-18-2014), glenntaj (09-19-2014)