Thread: root canal
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Marija,

The oral surgeon that removes the teeth may prescribe an antibiotic either just prior to the surgery or at the time of the surgery. It is best to go for a consultation first and discuss everything at that time.

Antibiotics cannot cure the infection that lives inside of the tiny canals inside of the teeth and the medication cannot cure the infection in the jaw bone as long as the teeth are present. The relief that is sometimes achieved from taking antibiotics for an infected tooth is temporary as the medication may temporarily subside some of the inflammation and bacteria, but that effect will be short lived as long as the infected teeth are present.

Oral surgeons will generally not discourage someone from having root canaled teeth extracted. They are very aware of the chronic infection brewing inside of these teeth. It is important for you to understand that dentists are taught to "retain" teeth even when they are infected. That is why root canals are done because they give the opportunity to "retain" a diseased tooth for an undetermined amount of time. It is not a secret that a root canal procedure cannot cure the infection... but this fact is rarely shared with the patient and for many reasons.

You will have to discuss the removable partial with your general dentist prior to the extractions so it can be made in time for the extraction date as it may be necessary to insert it right after the extractions. This is something your general dentist can have done for you at his dental lab after impressions of your mouth are taken. The partial denture would either be delivered to the oral surgeons office or you could pick it up at your dental office when it's ready. Sometimes, the oral surgeon prefers that the general dentist insert it... other times not. Again this needs to be discussed with both dentists.

It is important to disclose your ill health with the oral surgeon and even if you feel that he is doubting the connection to your teeth... don't let that discourage you from expressing why you feel there is a connection.

If you want to read more about that "connection" you can google Dr Mercola and the words "root canal".

Please keep in touch with us okay......
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marija View Post
Thank you very much for your reply and explanation I really appreciate it.
I just need now to find a dentist/oral surgeon who is willing to do the extraction. I really hope this will be the answer for many of my mysterious illnesses. I do not mind having partial just to feel healthy again. I am 35 and been having the problems with those teeth since I was teenage.
Do I need some antibiotic treatment, cause no one has told me it is infected?
Thank you one more time you have helped me a lot.

Marija

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote