View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JML22,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

Before I will answer any of your questions, if you would, please share a bit more information with me. My questions are...

1) What treatments have you had done for your periodontal disease and did your general dentist or a periodontist perform them?

2) Do you smoke, drink alcohol or take medications that contribute to having a dry mouth?

3) Do your gums bleed, are you teeth lose, do you have bone loss throughout your mouth from the disease?

4) Do you have other root canaled teeth?

I am asking these questions because in all fairness to you, it may be time to get off the dental roller coaster that you have been on and reconsider having any dentistry that would be considered patchwork because of the progressiveness of the disease. What I mean by this is if your periodontal disease is not under complete control... if you have lifestyle factors that are contributing to the disease ....if your health is in jeopardy from this long term chronic disease... then extracting a tooth here and there, adding bone grafts and implants (which will fail) here and there, may not be the healthiest way to go and you should be made aware of that.

It is so important for you to understand that periodontal disease is never limited to just the mouth. It is a very progressive, highly infectious bacterial infection that moves through your blood stream and into every organ of your body. The more advanced and chronic it is, the more likely it is to make you systemically ill. I don't know if your dentist has informed of any of this so that is why I am sharing it with you here now. Based on your post, I am thinking that your perio disease may not be under control.

I look forward to your reply.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML22 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum here and have been browsing to find some answers about the extraction of 3 teeth (1 root canal) that I am about to undergo. The Forum seems to be very helpful and informative so thought I would just post my questions and concerns here to hopefully not only find help for myself but for others in similar situations as well.

In any event, as briefly as possible let me explain my situation...

I developed gum disease many years ago and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since with numerous cleanings a year (which didn't seem to make much difference), 2 root canals (1 about to be extracted due to ongoing infection), 2 implants which failed, lots of bone loss, root scalings, antibiotics, mouthwashes, supplements including Dr Ohirra probiotics, etc. etc. Needless to say, I am sooooo tired (literally - fatigue issues also a problem) of these constant issues in my mouth which I know has seriously effected my overall health. In addition, the last couple of years I've begun to struggle with sinus issues as well and I'm pretty sure it's related to my dental problems since I never had problems with my sinuses before.

That said, where I am at right now is desperately trying to get my health back and my teeth as much back to normal as possible. Due to the 2 failed implants I had to get a lower partial (Valplast) but now I need to have another 3 teeth removed so will have to get a new one (metal this time). I also recently had some bone grafting (not bovine) placed along with a cantilever bridge due to a fractured root on a tooth in the front upper left portion of my mouth.

To sum up, in a few weeks I will have 1 infected root canal tooth in the back right lower area along with the one right next to it and another infected tooth (#24 I believe) in the front lower area removed. I am considering an implant based lower denture down the road. I don't think my dentist takes the removal of the perio ligament too seriously so I will definitely have to revisit this with him before proceeding with the extraction.

His plan is as follows...

- Remove the 3 bottom teeth
- Place bovine bone graft where teeth were removed
- RX for antibiotic Amoxicilon 500 mg 4x a day/10 days
- Place new metal based partial in interim during healing while exploring possible new implants or implant based denture down the road.

My questions/concerns...

I don't do well with antibiotics and HATE taking them! Consequently, I'm wondering if my taking Colloidal Silver (am currently taking) and other natural antibiotics would be sufficient. Will taking the antibiotic (specifically this one) really make any difference. If not, I think I'd rather just stick to natural remedies.

I'm also wondering about the bone grafting being done at the same time, is this typical? Can it cause any additional problems? I've gone through so many dental procedures over the years but for some reason this one really has me nervous. As best I can I definitely want to make the right decisions BEFORE undergoing these new procedures so any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote