View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello HarryDresden,

Honestly, like I had mentioned in another thread and feel even stronger about this after reading your story (thank you for sharing) that this does not sound like CRPS at all. It is unusual for pain to be relieved with elevation as CRPS pain is not generally relieved by anything and it causes pain even being still. Many describe it (including myself) as 'relentless' and not relieved by position, immobilization etc., It is also unusual for the pain to get better over time and to stay at such low levels.

It does sound more like either swelling or the break itself caused a nerve to have pressure - causing that 'tingling' sensation. At least for me (and we are all different so this may not be the case for everyone) the nerve pain I get is like severe electrical shocks, lightning bolt jabs and a freezing burn that is insane most of the time. The color and temperature difference alone could easily be a result of the inflammatory process of healing and not caused by RSD or CRPS. If it is CRPS then the worst thing you can do is to immobilize it or stop using it (as long as the break is considered 'stable').

I'm also surprised that a doctor would suggest so many nerve injections for such a low level of pain when bone fractures do take even up to 2 years to fully recover. And in your case not having even half of the symptoms of CRPS or a clear nerve injury this could actually harm you even more. I'm not trying to sound like your pain isn't real or anything like that.. it's just that sometimes doing to much especially when the picture isn't clear or could easily be explained by the fracture alone could not only cause you great anxiety but can cause harm.

If you can.. put the CRPS on the back burner and allow time for the fracture and its affects on the soft tissue to heal. If things change for the worse then you know what to look for. Don't worry so much about not treating it because if you don't immobilize it, don't use ice, get your mind off the pain, and work on ROM daily then that is the best treatment you can be doing even above any medical intervention.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Phaedra (09-19-2014)